ellis county crime blotter

jmu softball coach husband

10 Florida State vs. No. She pitched 26.2 innings during the shortened season, going 3-1 with 31 strikeouts. Savannah Reger | The Breeze Whiff. She was serving as a panelist on mental health in athletics. The Dukes will face No. Tennessee, Missouri, Alabama, Wake Forest, South Carolina, Clemson and West Virginia were also in the mix when it came to the youngster. Last season, she was part of the Dukes magical run to the Womens College World Series, catching for breakout star Odicci Alexander, but this season, Bernett was having her own breakout. Look at video. Go to class. Slight chance of a shower throughout the evening. The softball facility being relatively new and pretty much totally redone a few years ago is in great shape, Bourne said. Were gritty, said Newton, whose older sister Taylor played for the Dukes as an outfielder from 2014-17. that is degrading to another person. I think thats been not only my attitude but also our teams attitude this year.. Ive been shaken, thinking, What if I was the coach on the other side? "I love JMU. I think these student-athletes are pushed and pressed, Gasso said, and they have a lot of plates that are spinning and are trying to balance everything.. James Madison canceled the remainder of its softball season Monday morning as the Dukes continue to grieve last months death of sophomore catcher Lauren Bernett. RELATED CONTENT: President Alger wrote a first-person reflection about the softball team. Thank you so much, JMU Nation. LaPorte, JMU President Jonathan R. Alger, JMU has won 26 straight games, including three consecutive wins over No. Then, Christensen asked if any of the players wanted to share with everyone. It's a mixture of emotions that many in the JMU community and across the city of Harrisonburg, Virginia have experienced since the death of Lauren Bernett. Trevor Richardson met with the Cowgirls earlier this week after they returned from a road trip at Florida State. Gajewski is proactive in interacting and communicating with players. Dean left JMU in the summer of 2017 to take the reins at Auburn. Its kind of like the game sometimes. Gajewski strives for that, too. Eat lunch. Ventura High School Basketball Coach. 11:56 PM EDT, Tue May 3, 2022. A giant inflatable Duke Dog and a swarm of fans awaited the JMU softball team Tuesday as the players returned from their stint in the Womens College World Series (WCWS). Make Yahoo Your Homepage. A fundraising campaign run during the Womens College World Series added $50,000 to the softball programs discretionary fund. I think its just finding joy in the small, little things, OSU ace Kelly Maxwell said. JMU Softball (@jmusoftball) Instagram photos and videos The Dukes had gone to four-straight NCAA tournaments and, just a year prior, had hosted a Super Regional. Slight chance of a rain shower. JMU finished its best-ever season with a 41-4 record. If you or someone you know may be struggling with suicidal thoughts, you can call the U.S.National Suicide Prevention Lifelineat 800-273-TALK (8255) any time day or night. … It just filled my heart, and I know that I have to do more things to make this more humanized than robotic.. And we love the community feel.. The support that our administration and our president gives us, I mean, we couldnt ask for anything more. "They're going to be really excited about that.". Gasso hopes she is doing everything she can to respond. Thats what we try to do here.. 2023 Cable News Network. Thats why Gasso wanted to do that webinar Wednesday evening. I love JMU, LaPorte said. I want to know, when things dont look right, what does that look like?. James Madison University cancels remainder of softball season We hope so, but sadly, evidence suggests she probably wont be. Last season, Bernett and her teammates shined when they made national headlines with the Dukes unexpected, first-ever run to the Womens College World Series national semifinals. LaPorte and her staff can choose to use that money for, among other things, recruiting costs or to pay for JMU to play in high-profile regular-season events. JMU Staff Named NFCA Coaching Staff of "She learned from sitting in the dugout," LaPorte said. "This is probably the closest the team has ever been.". Thats why Gasso wanted to do that webinar Wednesday evening. 1 play on ESPNs SportsCenter Top 10. 8 overall seed Missouri in the Columbia Super Regional. This isnt how you win, she thought. Then came Wisconsin runner Sarah Shulze on April 13. 1 overall seed Oklahoma on Thursday in Oklahoma City. James Madison softball head coach Loren LaPorte and the senior members of the team thank fans in Harrisonburg Tuesday during a ceremony welcoming them The Dukes then took care of No. Loren LaPorte - Softball Coach - James Madison On September 14, 2017, Loren LaPorte The use of software that blocks ads hinders our ability to serve you the content you came here to enjoy. Loren LaPorte - Wikipedia She leads the Dukes in home runs this season with seven, along with 21 RBIs. Maybe. Catch up on the stories that have people reading and talking. Were not alone, OSU outfielder Chyenne Factor said. Look at video. The Dukes have been to the NCAA Division I softball tournament ni 2023 James Madison University Athletics, LaPorte Postseason, Team and Player Awards as a Head Coach. Students and faculty were shocked to hear of the death of Katie Meyer, a student and standout soccer player for the university on Wednesday. With the exception of 2020, when COVID canceled most It has served them well during a year that has forced everyone to live for the moment and not look too far ahead. She served an assistant coach for five years and was Mike Dagan, who led the Newbury Park High softball team to the 2018 CIF-Southern Section Division 2 championship, died of COVID-19 complications on Friday. The past year has certainly had its fair share. Mickey Perry. That was something Gasso knew prior to the events of recent weeks, but in the aftermath of Bernetts suicide, she asked OU psychologist Dolores Christensen to meet with the team. They need professional help. Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items. "We get a lot of blue-collar kids that want to work. She led the Sooners in an activity where they split into small groups and shared how they were feeling. The Dukes were 13-6 in 2020 before the shutdown. Herzig is in her 10th season with the JMU softball program. Alexander was named to this seasons USA Softball Top 50 Watch List and Softball Americas Top 100. Bernett is seen during a NCAA softball game in May last year. For her part, LaPorte said this week shes not trying to use JMU as a stepping stone to a job at a high-major conference school, and that her Virginia roots run deep. How Oklahoma State softball has upped its competitiveness, What was it like facing OU softball star Jordy Bahl in high school? Whats hard this year is that were only playing 34 games. We are so proud of you., Last Updated: Wednesday, February 8, 2023, run to the Womens College World Series national semifinals. Gary Walin. Frankly, their mental health challenges can be exacerbated because they are athletes. Its great to come home to this. First was Stanford soccer goalie Katie Meyer on March 1. Offensively, were pretty strong one through nine, LaPorte said. If you are trying to host tournaments, then you have to look at the potential to add not just to your permanent facility, but then you have to think about what additional rental bleachers and things would need to look like.. After punching their ticket to the Women's College World Series (WCWS) for the first time, the James Madison Dukes advanced to the WCWS semifinals after beating #1 Oklahoma 43 in eight innings[6] and #5 Oklahoma State 21[7] in the first and second rounds of the tournament. Maybe. The suicide of James Madison catcher Lauren Bernett has staggered the sport. Really sad, OSU coach Kenny Gajewski said earlier this week as tears welled in his eyes. We'd love to hear eyewitness Josh, he's from Staunton. Eat breakfast. JMU 'in awe' after advancing to Women's College World Series. You have permission to edit this article. For additional support please reach out to: Copyright 2022 WHSV. Purple-and-gold-clad fanssome of whom waited nearly two hours on an 88-degree afternoonlined up to greet the student-athletes and coaches. Anybody up at-bat can get the job done. 2023 James Madison University Athletics, Dukes Shut Out App State in Game One Victory, Mathis Named to 2023 TUCCI/NFCA Division I National Freshman of the Year Top 25 List, JMU Softball Goes Gold to Spread Awareness for Pediatric Cancer. Like Gasso, Gajewski asked one of the athletic departments psychologists to speak to his team recently. The Dukes start a quartet of fourth-year juniors and a trio of fifth-year seniors. Softball Its sad because its become quite normal. She followed with an even better sophomore campaign, leading the team in batting average (.423), and smashed 14 homers, 62 RBI, and 17 doubles. They have fun winning they love to win but it was fun to see them having fun in another space. On Monday, April 25, she was named Colonial Athletic Association player of the week. Ive been able to spend that newborn time with her that I missed a little bit with my son.. But the Dukes beat Missouri 7-2 on Sunday to win the best-of-three series 2-1. As a freshman, she started every game of the 2018 season, hitting .3.02 with seven homers and 25 RBI. When you look at hosting, at least at where things are at this day and time on a national scale, we have to at least consider the lighting component. The suicide of James Madison catcher Lauren Bernett has staggered the sport. All rights reserved. JMU softball receives warm welcome home from fans following historic WCWS run | Sports | breezejmu.org Skip to main content You have permission to edit this article. Dubbed "Coaches + Mental Health: Creating Mentally Well Spaces in College Athletics," the webinar Wednesday evening was hosted by OU. HARRISONBURG, Va. (WHSV) - The following statement has been issued from the James Madison Softball coaching staff regarding the untimely death of catcher and sophomore Lauren Bernett: Finding the words to describe what our team is going through right now feels nearly impossible. "It's just that mental approach you take with your program and not allowing them to feel like just because they're not in the Power Five they can't get it done. Published: Apr. James Madison softball head coach Loren LaPorte and the senior members of the team thank fans in Harrisonburg Tuesday during a ceremony welcoming them back from the Womens College World Series. The pitcher said she went through a low point last season but grew from the support of her teammate. She allowed two runs in four-plus innings. "We've had a lot of talented teams [at JMU], but I think overall it takes more than talent to get to this point," LaPorte said. The catcher had just been named Player of the Week by the Colonial Athletic Association. Go to a night class or work on homework. On September 10, LaPorte gave birth to Harper, her second child. The James Madison Dukes softball team represents James Madison University in NCAA Division I college softball. The team participates in the Sun Belt Conference (SBC) and plays home games in Veterans Memorial Park. JMU has won six CAA championships, including back-to-back Championships in 2016 and 2017.

Geodis Human Resources Phone Number, What Happened To David Walker On Kval, Articles J

jmu softball coach husband

what percentage of jews died in the holocaust